Signs that you have really grown up with Linux
- You used to spend hours/days configuring your desktop with super-cool graphics, 3D effects, translucent menus and panels, icons which jump and what not. Not any more. . You find anything flashy (especially with funky fonts) as a desktop setting completely juvenile. . Stuff only 2nd year CS BTech students find amusing!
- You no longer do a Full install of every distro you are trying. . You have realized (better late than never) that the chance of you using a text-based web browser or a telephone modem is less than that of you willingly, enthusiastically registering for the “Communication Skills” course in IITD!
- The biggest mistakes of your life involve typing ‘rm -rf *’ in the wrong directory and/or very confidently formatting the wrong partition using fdisk.
- You absolutely HATE it when ppl run linux on virtual machines on windows for no other reason than that their machine’s warrantee becomes void if they install linux. . It is sheer blasphemy. You involuntarily and unreasonably hate such ppl as well.
- You really really want to cut 50% marks for students who come for lab assignment demos & say that they don’t know how to run their program on linux, cos they did it on a windows machine! (of course, you don’t cut marks. . ur professional sense kicks in – sadly)
- You curse when someone trying to use your linux machine complains that there is no ‘Refresh’ option in the menu you get on right clicking on the Desktop (Grrrrrrrr)
- You don’t understand why ppl want to use pen drives to transfer data from machine A to machine B, both connected to the campus LAN. You, of course, have almost nil use for 2GB pen drives cos you use scp for data transfer, and these usb drives are too small to function as live-usb disks of that latest distro’s DVD.
- When someone asks you “What anti-virus software do you use?”, you blink (obviously receiving some weird looks)
- When the same someone asks you “Can you tell me how to set up XYZ on Windows 7?”, you say “ummm. .. i’m sorry. . but I don’t remember windows menus much. . and in any case, I have never used any Windows version after XP” (they have now decided that CSE, IITD took you in by mistake. . a BIG mistake)
- The people you curse the worst and most frequently are the Computer Service Centre junta who have deemed that Phd students who have ‘unlimited usage’ internet accounts should not ‘over-use’ their internet accounts => You can not update your linux machines as often as you would like or download and install as many cool new apps as would love to!!! (%#@$@%@#!! CSC)
- When your machine fails for some weird reason (more often than not, cos of your own crazy ‘experiments’), your heart skips a beat and an evil grin magically appears on your face – for this gives you a legitimate reason for formatting the disk & installing the latest distro(s).
- You type ‘exit’ in a gmail chat window & wonder why the window did not close! 😐